The application period for the 2023-24 Discover Year is now open! We look forward to receiving your application.
Before applying to Discover Year, please visit our Admissions page to get a better understanding of our admissions criteria, application deadlines, and program costs. Once you have reviewed this information, please follow the steps below to submit your application.
All documents below should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or in hard copy to:
Discover Year - Admissions
1716 Bellechasse Pl.
Ottawa, ON, Canada
STEP 1: Application Form
Please complete the online Discover Year Application Form.
STEP 2: Personal Statement
Please write a personal statement of approximately 800-1000 words outlining the following:
- Reasons why you want to participate in the Discover Year program
- The aspect(s) of the program that appeal to you the most and why
- How you exemplify the traits we look for in candidates (team player,
curiosity, openness to new experiences, integrity, and positive attitude), with concrete examples from past or present experiences
- Your personal qualities that you believe will have a positive impact on other Discover Year students and our community
Please submit your personal statement to email@example.com or in hard copy to the address above.
STEP 3: Letters of Reference
Please submit two confidential letters of reference, along with a completed Reference Form from each referee. (Please download or print this form and ask your referees to include it with their letters of reference.)
Applicants should have one reference from each of the two following categories:
- Educational: teacher, coach, counsellor, school administrator, etc.
- Personal: any adult outside of your family (e.g., community group leader, family friend, employer, volunteer supervisor, etc.)
Both letters of reference (and the completed Reference Forms) should be sent directly from the referee to Discover Year at firstname.lastname@example.org or in hard copy to the address above.
STEP 4: Interview
Our Admissions Committee will select candidates to be interviewed based on an assessment of their personal statement and references. Brief interviews will be scheduled based on availability of all parties, and will assess applicants on the following:
1. Knowledge of the program (does the applicant understand the purpose and structure of the Discover Year program?)
2. Motivation to participate in the program (what is the applicant hoping to get out of their Discover Year?)
3. Demonstration of the necessary personal characteristics to participate effectively (does the participant actively display the traits – curiosity, openness, integrity, teamwork and a positive outlook – required to be successful in Discover Year’s structure?)
STEP 5: Apply for Financial Aid (if applicable)
Eligible applicants (see Financial Aid page) must submit the following information with their application to be considered for a bursary:
- Copy of most recent T451E (Notice of Assessment) OR three consecutive
pay stubs of all working parents/guardians in immediate family
- Letter of endorsement from a member of the community on official
letterhead, testifying to the applicant’s financial need
NOTE: The educational referee above is welcome to submit a letter of endorsement, but a separate letter is required for financial aid. Letters of endorsement must indicate the applicant’s family size (including number of dependents).
All admitted students are eligible for the Discover Year Internships Program. Up to five $1,000 internships are available each year. Internship recipients are responsible for completing 65 hours of work for Discover Year in a variety of capacities, depending on the student’s interests and the needs of the program. Some typical responsibilities include:
• Social media management
• Representing Discover Year at post-secondary fairs and events
• Liaising with prospective students
• Documenting their DY experience through photos/videos
Application details for the Discover Year Internships Program will be shared with students at the outset of program.